Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Guided Question #5

How can your business (or others) be more involved in your classroom? What can you or your school do to engage students with the real world? What can the real world (our externship hosts) do to engage students in their world?
From the moment I stepped foot inside the huge manufacturing area of Clipper I thought this would be a great place for students to take a field trip.  Not only is the massive size of the generator a sight to see, but also the engineering that goes into these turbines is very evident.  At the very least I intend to have a speaker from Clipper come into my classroom to help educate students on the wind industry.  I will probably do this as a lead into the project I am working on, but I think the classes that aren't working on the project could benefit as well.  I've heard that Kirkwood is installing a few wind turbines to use as a turbine mechanic training facility.  It would be great to be able to work with Kirkwook in the future and be able to use actual data.
I've spoken with someone in the community outreach office here about looking into if there are any projects or tasks that someone does here at Clipper that students in my classroom could do instead.  I have no idea if such a task exists, such as data entry or some kind of data analysis, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  It would be a win-win situatuation, Clipper gets free labor and students get real-world experiences.  I would be so excited if it actually worked, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment